We have all been affected by the Australian bushfire crisis in some way.
We all want to help, and one way that you can do this is donate to a relevant charity.
The Aussie Speculative Fiction group has also decided to put together an anthology with all proceeds to be donated to support victims, firies, flora and fauna impacted by the bushfires.
- Theme – ‘stories of hope’
- Submissions due by midnight 18th January 2020
- Charity anthology – all proceeds to bushfire disaster relief
- Genre – any speculative genre by Aussie / Kiwi authors (fantasy, sci-fi, alternate history etc)
- Word count – max 2000 words. No minimum. One story per author.
- Reprints accepted as long as you have the rights
- Probably available in ebook only so we aren’t limiting submissions and everyone can be involved. As long as it is speculative in genre and has a message of hope, it’ll be included.
- Word doc, a readable font and size (Times New Roman, 12pt is good), double spacing, please don’t tab the indents
- Submit your story to email@example.com with the subject ‘Stories of Hope.’
Does my story have to be about fires?
No. It just has to include a message of hope.
Does my story need to be speculative fiction?
What is speculative fiction?
Speculative fiction is a broad genre encompassing fiction with certain elements that do not exist in the real world, usually asking ‘what if?’ This includes, but is not limited to, science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, superhero fiction, horror, utopian and dystopian fiction, paranormal fiction as well as combinations thereof (e.g. science fantasy).
Do I have to be a citizen of Australia or NZ to participate? What if I’m a resident, but not a citizen? What if I’m a citizen but no longer a resident?
If you call yourself Australian or Kiwi, you are welcome to be involved.
Will I get paid?
No. All money is going to charity.
Will it be available in paperback?
At this stage, no. We want to include stories by everyone who wants to be involved, and it may be too bulky to be printed in paperback. But never say never.
Where will the ebook be available to buy?
The usual places. Amazon, Kobo, Apple books, and right here on the ASF website.
Does my story have to have a hopeful ending?
Yes. We all need some hopeful stories at this time. If you want to write something darker, check out this submission call from our friends at Things in the Well.
What about poetry?
Sure, submit away – as long as it’s speculative, hopeful poetry.
Other than writing a story, is there another way I can help out?
Absolutely! We already have an amazing group of people who have offered up their services to provide cover design, proofreading, formatting etc. We’d really appreciate it if you shared this call for submissions with all of your Aussie and Kiwi writing buddies, and once the ebook is live, share the link far and wide. Don’t forget to check out the links at the top of this page if you want to donate directly to a charity as well.
Who is ASF?
We are a community of Australian and Kiwi speculative fiction writers who support each other through the writing, editing, pitching, publishing process. If you use facebook, feel free to join us here.